Thursday, January 19, 2017

Rest Days

Oh the dreaded rest days... Days where you know your body and mind need a break from the grind, but you feel guilty for taking them, am I right? I feel that way right now. 

So I'm a teacher, and working with third graders all day is exhausting. Anyone who tells you being a teacher is easy/they get a lot of vacation time/I could babysit kids all day like you do, has OBVIOUSLY never spent a day in a classroom trying to teach children different standards. It's mentally draining. You're constantly thinking about ways to improve your classroom for learning, to improve the strategies you use to implement the information, wondering if your kids will eat dinner when they go home, and hoping they do well on all these standardized tests to "prove" that you did your job. Because working your ass off everyday isn't proof enough, apparently. It's a lot of pressure, everyday, to perform and be on point every second of those eight hours you are teaching. And today, I'm just plain exhausted. I came home and passed out (on accident) because I was so tired. Adulting ain't no joke, y'all. 



So even though I know I deserve this rest day (5 days on, one day off), why do I feel guilty? Maybe it's because in the past, one rest day turned into an indefinite number of rests days, but I'm more determined. I made plans to workout with my boyfriend tomorrow in order to hold myself accountable, and I know we'll workout together on the weekend too. But that guilt... It just won't seem to go away. 

But it's okay. It's okay to listen to your body, take a rest day, and get back at it tomorrow. Sleep and rest is just as important as eating healthy and moving your body. We all need time to recover and the only way that happens is when we're asleep. So take some rest, enjoy it, and get back to it tomorrow (oh you know, may just be giving myself a little pep talk as I type this). You got this, and nothing can stop you! 





Until next time, 
Anneke 

No comments:

Post a Comment